Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
After working through a lot of numbers, it came out that the magic number was about $1 million. If you had that you'd be best off by self-insuring.

How can there be one "magic number"? I would expect that number to vary significantly from person to person and couple to couple depending upon a lot of factors such as their health, life expectancy, total assets, amount needed to sustain their lifestyle through their expected lifetime, cost of living in their area, just to name a few.

We need more than $1 million to be able to sustain the lifestyle we plan to have in retirement for the number of years we expect to live in the area in which we currently live, and so that number most certainly doesn't work in our case.

We've had this discussion before on this board, and it seems to me that folks sometimes only look at what happens for one person, but to me, the thing I am insuring against is leaving an impoverished spouse. It costs us around $3600 per year to insure both DH and me for LTC. FIL spent about 2 years in a nursing home, and his estate owes Medicaid close to $200,000 to pay for that, so the numbers get large in a hurry, and seem beyond what I wish to self-insure.

My step-mother's first husband was in a nursing home for over 10 years because of Alzheimer's, and she ended up with nothing after paying for his expenses after he died, and that included having to sell the house to pay for his expenses.

I'd rather pay for the LTC insurance instead of having to save enough to pay for one of us to have adequate nursing home care and not leave the survivor impoverished.

Other folks will make different choices based on their own situations, but I don't expect there to be one solution for everyone.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.