Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
[[Again, I'm not sure that I'm answering the question you are asking...or if I really understand the question. But look at it this way: Let's say that you had only $5k of income, and $50k of long term capital gains. Not ALL of the cap gains would be taxed at the 10% preferred rate. Again, using your "cut off" rates, the first $5k would be taxed at 15% ordinary rate, the next $5k in long term gains would have a preferred rate of $10%, and the remaining $45k of long term gains would be taxed at the preferred rate of 20%. ]]

Thanks, that takes care of my question exactly. I was bored at work today and so played around with the 1040 and schedual D on my own too, and came up with the exact same thing.

-short term gains are taxed like normal income
-if, including short term gains, your tax rate is still in the 15% bracket, then your long term gains until you have "filled up" this bracket are taxed at 10%
-any remaining long term gain is taxed at 20%

For example, I followed through the forms with $20k short term gains, $40k long term gains, and $500 for both intrest gains and dividends, and used the '98 values for a single person. This gave a tax of $8981, so only 14.7% of the total $61k. If the values were changed slightly to have all gains from LT, then the tax is $8275, or 13.6%. Not too big of a difference. But, this would change a lot more if you went the other way. With the breakdown of 40k ST and 20k LT, it comes to $10246, or 16.8%. This will be helpful for me (and others) to remember when looking at LT vs ST investments and trading.

[[Why wait?? Read my post in the Taxes FAQ area about estimated taxes. You'll get the backround that you need.]]

That's exactly the "research" that I also did today. Looks to me like since my goal is a 30% return, (I've been doing much better than that :) that I might as well just file as normal and let the IRS figure out the exacts on the 9% intrest that I owe them for not paying in increments throughout the year. I think this is what you suggested in the Tax FAQ (which is a great resource, BTW)

Thanks for the help and confirmations. Often it's hard to know if what you think is right really is.

Aaron
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.