No. of Recommendations: 3
Age 55, you can do the same, but the wincing starts.
Age 60, it hasn't gotten any better, and you have added groans to the wincing.
Age 65, you stare at it and contemplate if you should just leave it on the floor.

<<God I hope not>>

Yeah, ditto!

Maintaining function and mobility is high priority and a daily investment for me and DW.

I'm more mobile at 58 almost 59 than I was at 40. But that follows a decade plus of concentrated effort, personal reading/research and experimentation(and spending on postural therapy and chiros).

Pete Egoscue gave me my life back after a lost decade of back and nerve pain.
Kelly Starrett (Daily mWOD) and Jill Miller (Yoga Tuneup and Roll Model) took me to next levels.

Running hill sprints, lifting, paddling, surfing, cycling, digging footings, DIY construction and remodeling, landscape maintenance on 1+ acre -- loving the life and ability to move through it and participate.

You may have improved due to your physical complications and limitations in your 40's, but the aging process is still firmly intact. For those of us who had no complications or limitations in our 40's, we can attest to the slowly diminishing physical efforts thanks to aging and wear and tear on the body from lots of activity and mobility in the prior 55+ years.

Trust me, I am certainly not advocating a life that is devoid of activity as we age. Far from it, in fact! I am just being realistic that the best days physically are far behind all of us, no matter how great our minds may override the pain cave and think we may feel and perform in our 50's, 60's, 70's, etc... .

Martin and Schoeni take this line of research further, teaming up with HwaJung Choi of the University of Michigan for a 2016 study focusing on 55-to-69-year-olds using HRS data for 1998 to 2010. [6] They find no improvement in levels of physical functioning and activity limitations during the period, and some evidence of worsening.
https://www.prb.org/are-baby-boomers-healthy-enough-to-keep-...

Based on what I have seen over the decades in those older than myself, what I have done physically in the past, and being keenly aware of the slowly diminishing power, speed, strength, longer recovery, etc... that I can certainly report - I remain realistic that improvement at this point is not a reality unless one was direly out of shape and in bad physical condition and shape prior to their 50's or 60's. Frame of reference being the key point. I've been in tip top shape for the majority of my life when it comes to cycling, golf, skiing, hiking, running, walking, lifting weights, yard work, trail work, etc... . All of those activities continue in my life, but diminish slowly each and every year in terms of power, stamina, duration, speed, recovery, etc... .

What is a reality is trying to maintain as best we can by keeping our weight low, our cardio exercise topped off, weight lifting/bearing exercise to keep performance high and maintain structure, stretching combined with good diet to remain as healthy as we possibly can. Even then - it never gets better. We age. We slow. We decline. We ache. We groan. And we learn to live with the aches and pains and stiffness getting out of bed, or getting out of a chair and dealing with the short term stiffness we feel getting out of the chair day in and day out for the remainder of our days. I'll not allow myself to give in to it, but rather continue to learn to expect it, deal with it, and live with it.

Post up in 10-15 years and let us know how the body is responding to your activities compared to what you feel right now. ;-)

BB
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.