No. of Recommendations: 4
Agree Anymouse gets it and want to add that any libertarian who isn't so blinded by ideology as to be able to see beyond their own nose should see as well that universal healthcare is plainly in one's (enlightened) self-interest. Sigh.

Oddly while I'm Canadian I was somewhat late in discovering how much I appreciate the advantages. I almost grew up in the military and their medical system (joined at barely 17) and retired after 27 years in Germany where I worked for the next 10 years. It was only after I retired again and moved back to Canada that I was handed my first personal Provincial Healthcare Card.

After listening to the experts (US wingnuts on the Fool boards) telling me all about the death panels and long wait times lying on the floor in the hallways with jars of leeches on shelves I had my first real experience (beyond my wonderful family doc).

A gangrenous gall bladder forced me to head for ER. The immediate care I received was professional and caring, I tried to show the paramedic my card but he wasn't interested. Discovered that care comes first and paperwork if necessary later by law and the offending smelly object was removed late that night in General surgery. They apologized that the private room I was entitled to from my supplemental insurance was not available (all being used for MRSE cases) but insisted on setting up the TV and phone for me for the short time I was there in a semi private. I never did see the bill, couldn't even get it if I asked I'm told.

My supplemental insurance (covers both wife and I) costs C$72.13 a month and pays for 80% of my pharma costs, a pair of glasses every second year and travel insurance for $500,000 plus some other stuff I never bother to read up on. My basic healthcare requires only that I get a new card in the mail every five years and keep them updated on my address and phone number.

Anymouse <seems like a pretty good deal to me and far less administration and bill collecting makes it cheaper?>
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.