No. of Recommendations: 43
Agree with you there. I have winced at my share of American tourists as well and never talk politics.

A few months ago I was in Egypt. I was looking for a gift for my parents in Cairo.

I was in a gallery type shop, looking around when I overheard the shop owner ask some other American tourists if they liked President Bush. They first danced around the question, but the owner insisted on knowing. At this point, I'm making my way toward the front, ready to bolt out the door just in case I don't like what happens next. The husband finally nervously answers that he really likes George Bush. The owner smiles widely and makes this short speech about all the good Mr. Bush is doing and how he is saddened by all the Arabs that don't understand him and how he wished Bush could run for a third term in office.. The couple spend a few more minutes with him, end up buying a few things and leave.

A few minutes later, another couple is visiting the gallery and the owner asks the same question. Once again the couple skirted around the question, but the owner was relentless. They finally answered that they were not really happy with President Bush. The owner again smiles widely and talks about how Mr. Bush just doesn't understand the ways of the middle-east, the mess he has caused, and how happy he was to see gains the democrats made in the last election. He continued to talk about the democratic candidates and how any one of them would be such a good choice to replace Mr. Bush. This couple also ends up buying a few items as well.

Finally the owner comes to me and again asks the same question. Keeping with my motto of avoiding politics, I told him that I lived in Germany and didn't really have that much of an opinion. The owner then asked, "So, what do you think of Angela Merkel?"
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.