No. of Recommendations: 1
Agreed on not moveable off shore.

Still, I just got back from errand running and stopped at a Kroger's (I usually go to a locally owned super market) and had a long wait at the cash register, because only one was open. I could have done self serve, and probably would have taken less time, even though I haven't bothered to learn how. Kroger used to have lots of unionized clerks running the registers. My local place hires part time college students.

A lot of my students have put themselves through college (and condoms) waiting tables. Tips, especially upscale, mount up. Not eating out, especially up scale, is an easy place to save money in hard times.

The actual unemployment rate is, of course, much higher than reported (counting discouraged workers and the hard core unemployable or unwilling to work). Then there are all those working part time who want to work full time.

I'lll bet your self-employed carpet cleaner doesn't have health insurance. There would be a lot more opportunity for would-be entrepreneurs if affordable heath care was available.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.