Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Ah, but your approach isn't smart at all. You only make that 893% more than investors if you happen to get back in right after those "worst days" because that's when the "best days" happen. In other words you'd have to time it exactly right (or close to it, but even missing by a little kills those projected returns). Get it wrong and... you're buying high and selling low. Exactly the opposite of what one should be doing in investing (and the very thing TMF was created to avoid).

The only thing you should be doing on those worst days is holding or buying, not trying to sell beforehand and buy afterwards. Why? Because unless you have a crystal ball it isn't going to work because you're GOING TO MISS THOSE BEST DAYS as a result of trying to avoid the bad days.

Hence why TMF has traditionally supported a long-term, buy-and-hold, dollar-cost-averaging method of investing. It takes away the gambling aspect of investing, the very thing that should be avoided (and which you appear to be advocating).

This downturn is great for my retirement investments! Why? They're on auto-pilot. I'm buying at firesale prices without even trying to time it. Sure, I've suffered a paper loss but why should I care about that today? I'm not selling today! I'm not selling for decades hence in fact (I'm 38, I can't even think of withdrawing from the investments I'm making until I'm in my 60's without massive penalties!) All I care about is accruing more shares today which will be worth much more decades from now. Lower stock prices only help in that regard, I'm a happy camper!

I mean... what's the date everyone should get back into the market under your plan? Exactly.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.