Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2

Ah, but you're becoming the deus ex machina! You have to work hard to avoid easy cliches like this. (although I'm sure a characters appreciate it)

But there are two more sides:

What do you do when the character is in risk of undoing the plot or the consistency of genre without killing their vitality?

And,

What do you do when most of real existence is quite uneventful?

As authors we are constrained to the important incidents, and this unfairly skews ones subject into comprehensible, active, familiar, or rapid subjects. Lots of what makes reality function are slack periods, slow realizations and non-intellectual impulses that get justifications only after they are active facts.

What is a good way to make real the slow, common events, without becoming "Madame Bovary" (or the Auld Triangle if you're Irish)?

More to my purpose, what's a good way to represent the reality of an unrealized spiritual motion, or of one's environment leaking into a character, without having to cover the 600 days of small events that, in real life, would comprise it?

For a simple question, I've got some hum-dingers, don't I?

TG
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.