Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Ah, the comma. I attended grade, junior high and high school during the later 1940's and the 1950's. I was taught that when listing three or more nouns, there was always a comma before the "and." My college English professors found nothing wrong with that. My junior partner attended grade, junior high and high school during the 1960's and the early 1970's. She had the same teachers that I had. They taught her the same thing they had taught me. Her college English professors found that she had been taught incorrectly and that there should never be a comma in front of that "and" (or so she has told me for the last 25 years in our ongoing argument concerning same). My children went to grade, junior high and high school during the later 1970's and the 1980's (same school system, different teachers). They learned it the way my junior partner does it -- no comma in front of the "and." Being a traditionalist, I continue to punctuate as I learned it (except when my Supreme Court insists on the later approach -- I may be traditional, but I "ain't" stupid). I find the style books split on the subject; it seems to be a function of their date of publication.

Another usage that seems to have changed is the use of the comma to set off a date. I was taught that proper usage was "the meeting has been set for one o'clock p. m. on Friday, September 14, 2007, in Room 204 . . . ." I am now informed by my junior partner, my secretaries and my computer that the comma after 2007 is improper. Oh well, I'm retiring shortly and won't have to worry about that anymore. ;-)

Cal
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.