Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I think we need a general "market news" board. But until there is one...

A bit of much-needed good news:

http://tinyurl.com/6ye47h

It concerns me that all of these giant companies are being bailed out, but in this case, I think it makes sense. AIG will recover, it just needs some breathing room. This loan -- which is just short of the amount required to constitute a government takeover -- will give AIG some space and time, and will be repaid by AIG over time. I think we'll have a good day tomorrow. As for the next day/week/month, I have no idea. But I do think the panic is slowly subsiding, if only because there are not many financial giants left to collapse: Bear is bought, Merrill bought, Goldman beat estimate, Lehman is bankrupt (which while not good will at least provide some structure to their implosion), and AIG has an $85 billion cushion from the feds. WAMU is looking a bit less fragile, and the regional banks should get some help from the feds with their investments in Fannie and Freddie (which I forgot to list above, but which are also now in safer hands).

Add it up, and I think (hope) the contagion might be limited from here. Which is not to say the economy will suddenly grow wings and fly. But some of the fear that's keeping money on the sidelines should subside. Should.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.