Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
What language are you guys using to create these AIM programs with?
My first career was in the programming world (chad & post chad mainframe era). I have fooled around with some code in Microsoft Access and for a while had a working AIM database. The conversion to Office 97 has caused many unfixed problems so far. Since I have a lot of spare time now I was thinking of learning something new. Any suggestions for a good language with cheap (free) compiler. I guess it would be good to learn Java, Internet stuff and skip the stand alone programs.
My last venture into any programming related area was SAP!

XT
XP

Was almost Spring time last few days, Winter back today...You know what they say about Texas weather! It definitely is true this time of year.
Print the post Back To Top
I am an 'old' code slinger also. If I were to do any development these days, I would go with Java unless there was some really compelling reason to use anything else. And like AIM, I would keep it simple!

BTW, I am in the DFW area and getting a few rounds of golf in between colder spells.

tab
tabksb,
I was hatched in Dallas and grew up there! Left in the lat 70's when I quit programming for TI. Did contract work a few years and then moved North about 70 miles. I am practically an Okie now! I did all Cobol, Assembly and some proprietary TI languages for their MINI computers.
Got pissed and left when my English boss went back to U.K. and they replaced him with a known IDIOT I had worked with before. I was young and dumb. Not young now, but maybe still dumb. I did the 70+ mile one way drive to/from Richardson for 10+ years. I don't miss it at all.
Really strange weather isn't it? I am sure we will pay for the recent overly warn weather, we always do!

XTXP

I guess I should change my name

Hi XT,

What language are you guys using to create these AIM programs with?

Whoa, that question can only invoke vigorous debate!

But you know, real programmers program Fortran in any language :-)

The language is not really that important anymore. It's mostly OOP today. And then the framework is much more important.

Best,
Rien.

PS. My OS is Mac OS-X, program in Objective-C and use the Cocoa framework.
My favorite language is Ada.
Fortran, I used to do Fortran II I believe when I was an in College.
I have never used a Mac computer. Ada? That's a town in Oklahoma!
I guess your reference to "framework' and "OOP" is what is throwing me, what is it?

XTXP

"OOP" used to mean out of pocket

p.s. How's the weather their?
Hello XT,

OOP means "Object Oriented Programming" and a Framework is a reusable skeleton that can be customized to build specific applications.

regards,
Mark.

www.automaticinvestor.com
Thanks Mark...

I predate all of that. Just different buzz words I am sure.

XT

Fed announcement coming now!
XT, Another quote from Heinlein:
"Climate is what you EXPECT,
Weather is what you GET"

:-)

TV
Tom,
Thanks! Heinlein IS my favorite. I have every book I beleieve! Probably soon I will start rereading. I had started collecting the hardback editions prior to my unexpected departure from my job!
TANSTAAFL

p.s. Are some people able to post with the free membership on the other new site? I tried and can not!
Hi XT,

Ada is a pascal like language, though it has progressed way, way past that one.
OOP = Object Oriented Programming. This is quite different to the "old" way of doing things. If you really want to do some programming, first get a book on object oriented techniques.

A framework is akin to a library, only much, much more powerful. If one develops using OOP and a framework, you can mostly create an application (that prints a window containing "Hello World") with as little as one line of code. (Or as with the Cocoa framework, even without a line of code). And it will still be a fully fledged application with all the window handling you have come to expect of the current day applications.

OK, this is OT, so I'll stop it here.
If you like to know more still, PM me.

Best,
Rien.
Hi XT, I saw your post over on the Ihub site. Yes, Bob Z seems to have it fully functional for us. He mentioned that when newbies sign on, if they mention my name as a referral, he's going to boost the freebie posting to 10 messages per day. That should give even the most verbose of us plenty of time for communication!

Glad to find another Heinlein fan. Yes, I believe I've read them all, too. Most more than once. When RAH died I really didn't ever find a new "favorite." Read a lot of James Clavell's stuff over the years. Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged shaped much of my thinking over thirty years ago.

Take a look at this post on Ihub. I was able to capture and include graphs right in the post so one doesn't have to jump around all over the place:
http://www.investorshub.com/boards/read_msg.asp?message_id=261585

I think I like the format.

Best regards, Tom