No. of Recommendations: 5
Air is about 79% Nitrogen. It's a scam.

Actually it's about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and small amounts of other gasses like argon and carbon dioxide. However, the 21% oxygen does cause oxidation of the rubber on the inside of the tires, which can make the tires brittle, and more likely to blow out. Keeping tires filled with nitrogen will prevent the oxidation on the interior of the tires. And I do find that my nitrogen filled tires are less likely to set off my TPMS when the weather turns cold. I used to get TPMS alerts 3 or 4 times during every fall when I had tires that used air - now, with the nitrogen filled tires, it's usually only once. That said, if I needed to fill a tire and the only option was filling with air, I would use air rather than waiting to fill with nitrogen. The guys at Costco (where I bought the latest tires, and they only use nitrogen) said that I would just need to let them know the next time I came in for service.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.