Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
A very long story about a scam on AirBnB, and the companies lax enforcement that enables it.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43k7z3/nationwide-fake-ho...

But Airbnb, which plans to go public next year, seemed to have little interest in rooting out the rot from within its own platform. When I didn’t hear back from the company after a few days, and saw that the suspicious accounts were still active, I took it upon myself to figure out who exactly had ruined my vacation.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
The only experience we've had was our recent stay on London. A condo on the 19th floor, several misleading descriptions, survivable, but we'll not do another.

A/C was not part of the building structure, so the only ventilation was a narwal screened window alongside the regular winds. One little portable fan, one portable A/C unit in the closet that did not work until the next to last day we were there.. And it was HOT! Central spaces/elevator spaces were not cooled or even air circulation! Had to be 100F out there..

Had a washer, but the 'dryer' was a wooden rack, already loaded with what must have been the prior cleanup of towels, etc..

Couch was so low as to be unusable, much later, when he fixed the A/C, suddenly the couch had 6" legs! Useable for a day or so..

We were out and about most of the time, so when there was time spent in the condo it was not relaxing, even though it was modern, pretty spartan..

Towel warmer was on, and so hot it was a hazard, and no clue where it's breaker or switch was, had to text the owner, eventually an answer, its switch was out in the hall, unmarked..

Anyway, it won't happen again, back to a hotel...
No. of Recommendations: 1
I've stayed in airbnbs in several states and countries, and everything has always been exactly-as-pictured.

peace & YMMV
t
No. of Recommendations: 1
We have used vrbo (now Homeaway) and the issues have been minor.

Hotels haven't been problem free.
No. of Recommendations: 0
We're going t be spending the month of January in a string of bed and breakfasts/guest houses in South Africa. I wonder how that will compare with our prior experiences (which have been mostly hotels). I also wonder how these places with live-in management would compare to the AirBnB's which are remotely managed.

Jeff
No. of Recommendations: 2
I also wonder how these places with live-in management would compare to the AirBnB's which are remotely managed.

Jeff

Some AirBnB's are in the owner's home. It varies. We always rent a house and not a room.
No. of Recommendations: 2
In the end, I imagine each is an adventure, unique, as in our London condo. No way were we going to spend the effort and time to chase down the owner, who I bet was subleasing the place to fix things. Like other travel happenings, just roll with it, keep on going..

Ages ago, '79 actually, when we arrived in Athens for a two week Ancient Greek tour, first week on land aboard a nice cozy Mercedes bus, the second week on a small, 150 passenger ship.. Our luggage was not with us, we had a day or two before we left, and at the last minute it showed up, but some of our fellow travelers spent all their time whining, bemoaning their luggage.. If we'd had to, I'm sure we could have found t-shirts, shorts, whatever we really needed and continue to enjoy the trip..

Other places, other adventures, sometimes more worrisome, but in the end, more memories, tales to share, etc...
I wrote about our AirBnB experience here. https://boards.fool.com/my-first-trip-to-europe-34323587.asp...

We will NEVER use them again.
We have done VRBO/HomeAway with pretty good success. If it is for just a day or two, we will just really look at all the photos and descriptions, and find it on a map, etc. We usually ask the owner the actual physical address and look on Google maps and street view to scope out the neighborhood. if we are renting for a couple of weeks or a month or so, we will actually talk to the owner on the phone and ask some questions before renting it on the VRBO or HomeAway website.

We also usually find the property on their county property appraiser's website and figure out who the owner is, etc. Not sure if this actually does anything, but in our experience, the names have usually matched up at least. Oh, and we try to read most of the reviews.

Footsox
We have used VRBO five times and each time the service and apartments/houses were as advertised. Since we've not had a problem (and that's a good thing) we have no idea how good the company is in supporting its customers.