No. of Recommendations: 5
Worth noting: if you cancel your flight because of COVID-19 travel restrictions, the airline will probably waive the change fee and give you credit toward a future flight. But if the airline cancels your flight and does not provide a reasonable substitute, you're entitled to a full refund, according to DOT regs.

Delta cancelled by scheduled flight from Portland (PDX) to Detroit in mid-April. They substituted a flight the next day from PDX to ATL with a connecting flight to DTW that's scheduled to leave six hours before I'd arrive in ATL.

So I called Delta, pointed out the problem (which I had to explain, twice, before they understood), and requested a refund. The rep asked if I wanted to cancel the reservation and get credit toward a future flight.

I replied that I didn't wish to cancel a reservation, Delta cancelled the flight. And so I wanted a refund, please.

I got one. But Joe Schmo would've ended up with a credit. Not good.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Delta cancelled MY scheduled flight..."
I've seen stories where people who knew the rules still couldn't get a refund despite the law stating they are required to provide one.

One of many stories about this stuff going on.
https://crankyflier.com/2020/03/26/when-airlines-refuse-refu...

Rich
No. of Recommendations: 2
Yeah. United is simply awful. But even Delta, which is usually pretty good, appears to be defaulting pax into credit toward a future flight. I understand that they're trying to preserve cash. But so am I.
Alaska hasn't cancelled the flight we booked yet, but will offer you a full credit to use before July 20, or their 125 fee to use in a year. Since we split booked, one way through travel card and one direct, it is a terrible deal. This was to HI, which is requiring visitors to self quarantine for 14 days, so visiting is a no go whatever your plans are.

The exact thing that has already happened is that everyone wants the flights in July so the availability is poor and the flights are expensive. Also talking to someone there is best left to someone who doesn't value their time and their website is now saying to call them...
I think they are being extremely optimistic thinking flying will be semi normal by July. By latest estimates we are 2-4% towards estimated deaths in the US. Sadly things are likely to get much worse in many areas over the next few months.

Maybe waiting is the best bet since the airline may eventually cancel the flight.
By latest estimates we are 2-4% towards estimated deaths in the US.

I don't disagree that flying won't be back to "normal" anytime soon.
But the 2-4% is in linear thinking, not exponential.
For example, starting at a small number, like .25%

64 (the sum is over 100%)

At 2 or 4% we are over half way there in doubling times.

Mike
Just a quick update on the Alaska flights, wife called, they have a text option with no wait, she picked that, agent fixed it so you had to book by July 20, but could fly anytime available, handled very well.
No. of Recommendations: 1
The DOT issued a statement that US airlines must give prompt refunds for flights they cancel.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-03/airlines-...