Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
AJ is right - NEVER invest IRA/401K/HSA/529 funds in a Master Limited Partnership (MLP). Such an investment is a 'tax trap' which I have been burned by. Worse, anyone else who owns MLP shares inside a tax-advantaged account is already 'trapped' - whether they recognize it or not.

The Situation:

1) MLP does not typically file its yearly K-1 report until May-June. What this means is that any EBIT income is not reported on your 15Apr tax return. Result is that IRS will likely assess penalty for non-reporting of EBIT income.

2) Another gotcha is that MLP will send your K-1 report to the IRS and to your account custodian (e.g. Fidelity) BUT not to you personally. Practical effect is your IRA account is about to get assessed income taxes - and no one will tell you about it until shortly before cash is extracted from your IRA account. I was given 10 days to make sure there was enough cash in the account to pay the tax.

3) Reporting of UBIT income requires filing of a 990-T tax return - as of 2016 your IRA (not you personally) must pay the tax. Fidelity (and likely others as well) will now charge $300 (to your IRA account) for preparation of this 990-T tax return. Ergo, filing 990-T tax return for even a small EBIT tax will now cost your IRA account (not you personally) $300 preparation fee.

4) Apparently IRS rules changed in 2016. Your IRA custodian (e.g., Fidelity) is now required to file a 990-T tax return against your IRA Account - not you personally. Apparently, there is no IRS rule that says your custodian must notify you that such a return is about to be filed.

5) As an ex-shareholder, the MLP representative I talked with essentially responded with 'tough luck'. If MLP stock is held by an IRA account, the MLP routinely reports ALL OF THE LONG-TERM GAINS for that stock as EBIT income. She mentioned the term 'recapture' which is just another term for 'you are scr***'. Remember that K-1 is not distributed until May-Jun of the year following year in which stock was sold - which was about 15 months in my case.

6) I later learned that Fidelity had filed a 990-T tax return for 2016 against my IRA - without bothering to inform me. I managed to thank Fidelity's CEO for this 'free service' - especially since Fidelity would have charged my IRA account $300 preparation fee had this occurred after 1Jan2019.

My Situation:

1) For performance reasons, I sold (last) two MLP stocks from my IRA account in 2017 which I had owned for nearly ten years.

2) Both MLPs apparently (details are still sketchy) reported the all long-term gains as EBIT income in May-Jun2018.

3) I am still unable to get an accurate reading from any of the parties involved (including MLP, Fidelity, several accountants, and the IRS), but my IRA account got hit with a 20% tax rate because of this 'EBIT income'. Fact that this tax rate exceeds even the long-term capital gains tax rate seems irrelevant to all involved.

My Message:

Never invest in a MLP stock - regardless of account type. Appears to me there is nothing but tax grief to be expected from such an investment.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.