No. of Recommendations: 4
aj485,

You wrote, Fido has a nice selection of no fee ETFs and mutual funds that they sponsor …

I left TD Ameritrade in large part because they changed their NTF list for both ETFs and Mutual Funds. Before the change their ETF list mirrored Fido's and included a lot of low-cost iShares and Vanguard ETFs.

After the change all of the replacement funds had expense ratios that were about 10x their predecessors. I was told by an advisor that they did this to attract advisors and their clientele. There was something about them receiving a payment for the business they drive to TDA. The higher cost NTF funds subsidized these payments through higher expense ratios.

Personally I think TDA has a great website with really good research and other tools. But the switch and the high expense ratio NTF funds really turned me off. In fact I'd procrastinated leaving E*TRADE when they did something similar a few years before so I was rather ticked at TDA for doing much the same thing just a year or two after I'd rolled my E*TRADE accounts over to them. At least I got the account bonus for the move. And since I was entirely in ETFs and individual issues I could roll those over to Merrill Edge and trade them for free there...

BTW, if I used an advisor (not likely) I probably wouldn't follow them to TDA. I can't imagine anything good coming of that. At least not for me. Maybe for them, but not me.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.