No. of Recommendations: 5
aj485,

You wrote, One other thing that the CARD Act put in place was that card issuers could only change terms (minimum payments, interest rates, etc.) once a year, usually in the anniversary month. So, just before the CARD Act went into effect, many issuers increased the minimum payments on 0% loans that they had previously made - sometimes as high as 4% of the principal a month. I seem to remember that this happened on a 0% loan that you had outstanding - maybe on the Citi card?

It was Citibank. I do recall that they changed the repayment terms, though I don't recall exactly what the change was. They did it explicitly because I had a 0% for life offer and wasn't using the card. Even more irritatingly, I immediately paid off the remaining balance. I'd already paid down like 2/3rds of the loan and interest rates had been falling so it wasn't making me that much money anymore. They responded by immediately closing the account in the next billing cycle.

I have no problem with Citibank not wanting to extend me credit at 0% for an unlimited time. But what they did just felt childish and dishonest. It was like I'd followed their terms to the letter and they were upset by that. So in response, they changed the terms and again I did what they asked. So in response, they took their toys and ran home and wouldn't play with me, just because I always won and they were too stupid and immature to find a way that both of us could win instead.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd take out another Citibank card again if the offer were right. But even if they purge their records after a while, I don't purge mine. I hold grudges and I always play to win. So if they come around and offer me something crazy-stupid like that again, you'd better believe I'm going to take them for as much as I can.

BTW, the card was a Citibank Dividends Platinum Select Rewards card. Before they made that stupid 0% BT for life offer, that had been one of my go-to cards. But these days Citibank rewards cards just aren't competitive in the cash-back rewards space, so it's likely I'd have quit using it by the time they closed it anyway.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.