Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Alex: You're about to learn what is meant by your state's intestacy law.If the will is not filed,the state will tell you,through the wonderful world of probate,who gets the "stuff" that grandma owned. This includes the house and all the other "stuff i.e. bank accounts,florida swamp land(bought from cousin Willie during his short sales career) and any other material things she owned. You (the estate) will also have the benefit of probate proceedures like appraisals ect. You may also have to be appointed as an administrator in order to sell the "stuff".

Record the will before you split up the insurance proceeds. Make sure you read the insurance beneficiary designation before you give anyone anything.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.