Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
The message you're trying to access has been removed from the boards. The most likely reason for this is that the message violated our Fool's Rules about appropriate content. Either that or it was swallowed up by intergalactic space beasts from the planet Xeenu.

Please check out The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions of Service.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 21
Have no CC debt -- still using all cash <checks> for this Holiday Spending.

Try it you will like it. You will spend less and like it more in 2014!!!

Actually, I much prefer charging everything to my AMEX Blue Cash and getting 1.5% cash back on all my purchases.
No. of Recommendations: 8
<iActually, I much prefer charging everything to my AMEX Blue Cash and getting 1.5% cash back on all my purchases.

And since you, like me and many others, pay off the cards in full every month you don't have to worry about interest.

I use cards because I don't like carrying hundreds of dollars with me, and there are many places that won't accept out-of-state checks. And if you buy something over the internet, they aren't big on cash or checks either.

Nancy
No. of Recommendations: 3
Actually, I much prefer charging everything to my AMEX Blue Cash and getting 1.5% cash back on all my purchases.

That plus the $10 statement credit from Small Business Sat(who knew Ace was considered a small business & I needed a gallon of paint that was 50% off) and 5% back from using Discover for online shopping which was most of it.
No. of Recommendations: 4

I've been charging more and more to my Wells Fargo card and getting 1% of my purchases applied to my mortgage.

Plus, whenever I make a credit card purchase, I transfer the amount from checking to savings so that the money earns interest until the bill comes in.

I wish I had started this years ago.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Cash? Turn the way back machine to 1980, Mr. Peabody. I honestly can't remember the last time I paid "cash" for anything. I've had the same couple of $20 bills sitting in my wallet for months (years?)- just in case I buy something at some odd ball anachronistic place that doesn't take credit cards.

Why use cash? Anyone with discipline is much better off using credit cards (and paying them off in full each month) and getting cash back.
No. of Recommendations: 7
Why use cash? Anyone with discipline...

Some people don't have the financial discipline to use credit responsibly.

Some people don't like to use credit; they don't like the idea of being in debt to anyone for even a short period.

Some people are concerned about their credit cards being hacked a la Target.

Some people find it easier to track their spending if they are using cash; out of cash = all done versus having to keep a running tally.

Some people just like walking around with money in their pocket.

There are lots of reasons to use cash; there are also reasons to use credit. Neither one is particularly better than the other; they are both dependent on the individual's particular situation. :-)

Minxie
No. of Recommendations: 1
Some people don't have the financial discipline to use credit responsibly.

I have a friend who discovered that using a credit card allowed her to think "free money! All I ever wanted!" only to discover the cold, hard fact that she couldn't afford to pay her debts. She uses cash or checks.

Yes, sometimes it's frustrating, but she knows credit is a weakness for her, and she doesn't use it.

Nancy
No. of Recommendations: 4
Some people don't want a record of their purchase available to folks who look at CC/DC transactions.

Jean...may watch too much csi and ncis
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sams club does not take Visa Credit at the store. Sams club does take Mastercard credit, Sams credit, Discover, Visa Debit, JCB, cash or check with drivers license.. ONLINE ONLY you can use AMEX, Visa Credit

WINCO Does not take credit cards or pay their employee with high wages.

Safeway Gas stations surcharge you 10 cents a gallon if you use credit cards.

AM PM Surcharges you if you use credit cards.
No. of Recommendations: 0
AM PM Surcharges you if you use credit cards.

In my area, AM/PM does *not* take credit cards, and surcharges a flat fee, something around 50 cents, for debit cards.

Like Sam's club, Costco limits the kinds of credit cards it takes. I'm not sure of the exact list.
No. of Recommendations: 2
492dea,

You wrote, Like Sam's club, Costco limits the kinds of credit cards it takes. I'm not sure of the exact list.

Costco stores only accept cash, Amex, debit or Costco gift cards. The gas stations do not accept cash - not sure about the gift cards.

- Joel