Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
[[All distributions of mine are taxable. I have well over $400 in capital gains
from the sales of stock (and I have my 1099-B forms in hand). Line 7 on schedule B "Capital gain
distributions" is confusing. If I enter my total capital gains here and subtract that number from my
gross dividends, I end up with a huge negative number. This can't be right! ]]

You're right...it's not right. The capital gain dividends that is referred to on Sch B has to do with MUTUAL FUND capital gain distributions. It has nothing whatsoever to do with stock sales. IRS computers will try to match the entries on Sch B with the information provided by the mutual fund companies...which is why IRS wants this mutual fund capital gain dividend report here first.

[[ The tax question: Do I need to fill out schedule B and if so, what am I doing wrong? It seems to me
$42 belongs on line 9 of the 1040 form.]]

Complete Sch B for your dividends only. Complete Sch D for your stock sales. Ignore the "capital gains distributions" section on Sch B unless you have capital gain distributions from mutual funds.

[[ ps-- many more questions to come since these questions only bring me to line 23 out of 65 on the
1040 form.]]

Start by reading the instructions carefully. Then read 'em again. Then look at the form. Then read the instruction again. It might save you some time.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.