Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
All good questions!

I wonder how much the classes are, and if they end up costing you more or less dollars than the 7.75% interest would cost you.

My classes cost me about 13 dollars per credit. My highest bill for the semester was 300+ dollars. I work at a university and our cost is 10% of tuition credit hours. Per year cost is between 5 and 600 bucks. Interest cost last year on a 11K loan was 2600 dollars.

Then, I wonder how the comparison would look if you subtracted the value of your time attending classes, compared to the same number of hours spent at some small part-time job.

I take classes that only required in-class time--ballet, walking, health science class, drawing, pottery, etc. My requirements are 1. must fit my schedule, 2. can not have homework (although I fudge a little on this one) 3. must be interesting. The most time I have spent in class is 6-8 hours per week. After taxes, it's not worth it. Plus--my ballet classes help me achieve my fitness goal.

Then, I wonder how the comparison would look if you added back in some theoretical value of future earnings capacity based on the additional education. I suppose that would depend a lot on whether you are taking classes that bring you closer to a degree, or at least specifically increase your abilities re your career path, or if you are just taking Underwater Basket Weaving to get the hours.

I have a PhD. The only other professional degree I (sort of) am interested in obtaining is a JD and my school won't pay for those courses, so they have to wait until the loans are done.

:)

b
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.