Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 35
The J&J Board's Compensation & Benefits Committee obviously takes its Credo responsibilites very seriously, judging by this line in its 'philosophy' statement from the latest Form DEF 14A (Definitive Proxy Statement):
“In assessing the executive officers’ contributions to the Company’s performance, the Committee not only looks to results-oriented measures of performance, but also considers how those results were achieved — whether the decisions and actions leading to the results were consistent with the values embodied in the Credo — and the long-term impact of an executive officer’s decisions. ” (italics mine)
http://www.investor.jnj.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=950123-11...

I'm sure that explains why it just awarded an outrageous $28.7 million in total 2010 compensation award to its illustrious leader, the Chairman & CEO. Thanks largely to the $1.6 million cut in his bonus, that was a mere $2.1 million less than the $30.8 million he equally richly deserved for 2009. And – I kid you not – they gave him 100% of his long term awards, nicely gift-wrapped in a 3% merit increase for his truly meritorious 2010 performance.

Naturally, the Committee opens its review of Weldon's performance thus:
“The Board believes that Mr. Weldon generally met expectations during 2010, a year with many successes and very visible challenges.”

Last time I checked, J&J's Credo, the gold standard in corporate responsibility statements, was crystal clear : 'Our first responsibility is to our <customers>'

Which means the Board, all honourable men and women, I'm sure, is reading off a very different Credo than the one that made this one of the world's most admired companies.

“So are they all, all honourable men”
(Mark Antony, describing Caesar's assassins: Julius Cæsar. Act iii. Sc. 2. )
http://www.bartleby.com/70/4032.html
-------------------------------
Global Gains Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.