Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
All I know about Michigan is where to find it on a map. So this is far from definitive.

Many states define their filing requirement on gross income, not net. If that is the case in MI, both the rental income and sale proceeds would be taxable until you file a return to claim the deductions and costs.

I often find specific filing requirements in the instructions to the state's non-resident or part year resident tax forms. You might take a look there.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.