Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
All in all, excellent advice from Wendy.

2. The 401(k) plan at my last company had inferior returns, and high expenses. I rolled it over to a Fidelity IRA as soon as possible. As someone else mentioned, it is essential to make this a custodian-to-custodian transfer. Do NOT have them send a check to you! The benefits people sent me a check erroneously, and I immediately sent it back and told them to do the rollover correctly. Even if you transfer the money to the IRA within the 60-day deadline, the mere fact of receiving a check could trigger a problem, since the 1099-R won't say "Rollover" -- and that's what the IRS sees.

That's not the reason why you want to insist on a direct custodian to custodian transfer. Miscodings on a 1099-R are easy to deal with. The REAL problem is that if they cut you a check, they must withhold 20% as a tax payment. You have to make up that 20% when you deposit the funds in the new account or else you have taken a distribution of 20%. This distribution will be subject to regular tax and an early distribution penalty if you are under age 55 1/2 (different from IRA age limits).

Ira
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.