Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 18
All kidding aside, 3% is quite steep. Almost like her agenda is to make sure no one can have wealth above 50M. A 50/50 stock/bond portfolio will in an average year return 6%. So the rich would pay 50% of their income in wealth tax, not counting income tax and other taxes.
She was saying 2% during her primary campaign.

The bill actually is for 2% over $50 million and up to $1 billion, then goes to 3%. The first $50 million does not get taxed.

Let's look at the math: say someone has $100 million. They make 6% on their investments, so they now have $106 million. They pay 2% on $56 million, which would be $1,120,000. That's a lot, to be sure, but it's not 50%.

Many moons ago at my first job (property management company), we had several wealthy clients. As I got to know them, I found I could divide them into two categories: those who viewed their money as a means to worry less about money, and those who saw their money as a reason to worry more (they had more expensive problems). I knew which category I wanted to fall into if I ever got there.

I'm genuinely undecided about Warren's proposal (which I suspect is a hugely long way from ever becoming a reality), and open to hearing arguments from both sides. But the arguments that it's going to hurt the people who have managed to "save a little money" and that it's going to tax 50% of the income and keep people from ever accumulating more than $50 million aren't cutting it for me.

A larger problem to me would be how do you put a value on things like expensive real estate that doesn't change hands very often, or someone's business? That would be guaranteed to turn into never-ending rackets, and lots of work for accountants and lawyers.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.