Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
All other bad debts are nonbusiness. Nonbusiness bad debts must be totally worthless to be deductible. You cannot deduct a partially worthless nonbusiness bad debt.

What is a partially worthless bad debt, and does it affect me at all? Since there were some payments made, does that make this only partially worthless since it is only the balance that is unpaid? This is confusing me.

My condolences on your loss. A partially worthless bad debt is one where you still may be able to collect something. For instance, if your FIL's estate were large enough to pay off Medicare, but not fully pay you back, you would have a partially worthless bad debt. "Partially" doesn't refer to the amount of initial indebtedness, but the amount of debt at a specific point in time. In your case, whatever part of the loan is currently outstanding is totally worthless as you have no chance of recovering any part of what's owed you.

If, for example, you expected to receive $1000 against the outstanding debt, you would not be able to write off the bad debt until after you recevied the $1000. At that point, the remaining balance would be totally worthless.

I hope this helps explain things.

Ira
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.