Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
All this talk of lawyers...

I own hundreds of units. You approach me about a problem, I'll do my best to get it taken care of. You approach me through a lawyer and I'll do all of the following: (1) turn you over to my lawyer; (2) let hell freeze over before I'll try to deal with your problem; (3) void your lease and kick you out on the very slightest of pretexts; (4) refuse to renew your lease and give you the worst reference I can get away with giving you. And f*** you very much.

While I realize that, when you have a problem YOU have a problem, what you need to realize is that your landlord's inability to solve it overnight or on your schedule does not mean that he is incompetent or crooked or disinterested. It just means he has problems too. Especially now, in the current environment.

It may mean that the contractor he has contacted has stood him up.

It could mean his maintenance supervisor had a heart attack and things are backing up through his system. It might mean that the man he sent to fix it reported it fixed, while in fact he went and sat in a bar rather than do the work.

It could mean his secretary has called off sick for the third time that week, claiming "female problems" aka "hangover" but he has to prove it before he can get rid of her.

The LL only has so many hours in the day. He seldom gets thanked for what he does right, but BOY HOWDY, he sure hears about it whenever anyone (often not at all under his control or authority) does something wrong.

So go ahead. Sic a lawyer on him. I'll bet you that you'll rue the day by the time it is all done.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.