No. of Recommendations: 0
We've moved a good amount of money ($200k) into Vanguard, and now I'm trying figure out the best way to allocate it.

Right now, $180k of it is in a short-term bond fund (making about 3%), and $20k is in gold stocks (something we bought a while back - and moved from our old brokerage to a Vanguard brokerage account).

The minimum investment in each fund is $3000 and we thought we would pick out 10 funds and invest $3000 in each to start, and then move $1500 every month ($150 for each fund) for the next 100 months (8 years or so).

I'm 35, my wife is 43, so we have time. This money is in taxable accounts.

Here are the funds we're thinking about

Large Cap Blend
- 500 Index Fund
- Total Stock Market Index (x2)

Large Cap Growth
- Health Care Fund

Large Cap Value
- Windsor II Fund

Small Cap Blend
- Tax-Managed Small-cap

Small Cap Growth
- Explorer Fund

Mid Cap Value
- REIT Index Fund

Foreign
- Emerging Markets Stock Index

Bonds
- Total Bond Market Index

That's actually only 9 funds, so the Total Stock Market Index will get 20% each month ($300).

What do you all think? Is that too many funds? What advice do you give for asset re-allocation? Since these are taxable accounts, we don't want to be selling and buying too much. If I see indications that the stock market is a better buy, then I'll up the monthly contributions to $3k...

We are planning on moving $8k each year into IRAs (Although we'd probably stop at $100k - we want some money to be available before 59 1/2)
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.