Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Along these lines, my MIL is in a memory care unit of an AL facility. She meets the definition of above as she needs at least four of the items listed. My FIL is alive, but can’t afford the cost of the AL facility, therefore I am paying a majority of the cost each month.

My question is whether I can claim any of this to reduce my tax bill? I am paying much more than 50% of her living expenses at this point, but she is still married so can I claim she is a dependent? Are there other considerations before I should do something like that?

I have always handled my own taxes but getting a bit lost here…

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.