Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Along those same lines, there was an interesting piece in Harper's this past issue (August, I guess) by a rancher from Chile, writing about his interactions w/ American & European experts. Not anti-meat the same way Lymond (Lydon? Lyman? whatever the guy's name was) is now, but still an eye-opener on how large-scale beef operations work. For example, the Chilean guy ended up comparing the number of different medications required by the cattle in the American operations to the almost-nonexistent veterinary attentions required for his herd, because the artificial conditions the American cattle were living in required more artificial interventions to keep them alive.

I'm hanging on to this issue to use that piece as a "soft" intro to people who don't want to listen to anything about how animals are treated in this country because they associate such things with "hippie commie freaks" or whatever, because the author comes across as very reasonable, and not like he's pushing a particular agenda.

Interesting that you should mention this...I listened to "All Things Considered" on NPR yesterday, and there was a story about antibiotic overuse in animals. The story ended with a quote from a lobbyist claiming that the USDA and Public Health efforts to ban antibiotic use in animals was nothing but a plot by vegetarians "and others opposed to farming animals". Made me laugh so hard my coworkers came over to see what was so funny!

Part two of this series was on today-they visited Denmark, which eliminated all antibiotic usage in animals several years ago. Supermarket cost remained the same. Difference?? The Danish farmers had to "clean their barns" every few weeks, instead of every few years.

Those crazy Danes....

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.