Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 10
Alrighty, Admiral - you asked for it.
how about explaining the etymology of the username "babyfrog" as recompense to the FC

Back in the fall of 1990, I was a new sophomore at the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy ( http://www.imsa.edu ), at the time, the nation's only three year public residential high school for students gifted in science and mathematics. At the time, my class was the largest ever to attend, because the school was expanding and building another dorm.

The dorm was supposed to have been finished by the start of the school year, but it is a state school, and as with most publicly funded projects, it was behind schedule. Add a tornado that ripped the roof off the still uncompleted structure, and completing the project anywhere near on time became an impossible task. As a result, somewhere around seventy of us male sophomores got the pleasure of living, barracks style, in the student union for the first few months of school. Seventy male teenagers living in three large rooms is not the best living arrangement, and quite quickly, the place deteriorated to what we now lovingly refer to as "The Ghetto."

For the first few days, it was not too bad, but then the juniors and seniors started to show up and repopulate the rest of the school. We quickly became a spectacle, as the showers were in the gymnasium locker rooms, a good march away, through the school hallways, from our bunks. One of the first seniors I met during this daily march to the showers was a woman named Amy [last name left blank to protect her identity]. Amy's first words to me were, and I quote, "Tadpole. You look like a tadpole. From now on, I'm calling you 'Tadpole.'"

Being a naive twit at the time, I had no idea what she meant by that. I have a much better idea now, however. Yes, hindsight is twenty-twenty. That'll teach me. In any event, the nickname lasted long enough so that when we all set up our accounts on the school's Unix server, I got it permanently appended to my persona. If you email a reply to one of my posts, it still gets forwarded to that account, since the school allows permanent alumni access to those accounts.

Back before the rapid explosion and public acceptance of the Internet (man, do I feel old), it was pretty easy to grab that name on whatever site I wanted. When I was first introduced to the Fool and had to create a user name, I wanted 'tadpole.' Unfortunately, 'tadpole' was already taken at the Fool. So I went with the next best thing, 'babyfrog,' a clear derivation from 'tadpole.'

You asked for it, and now you know. Be careful what you ask for, as you just might get it.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.