Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Also, bear in mind that cash treated as "return of capital" is not taxable to you when received (as dividends are) because it's treated as though you are recovering a portion of your original investment in the shares. Return of capital distributions, therefore, require you to reduce your tax basis in the investment by the return of capital amount. If you have already sold the investment and reported the related gain or loss on your 2009 or 2010 return, you will also have to amend the amount of gain or loss you reported, increasing gain or reducing loss by the amount of the return of capital distribution.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.