No. of Recommendations: 1
Also, "Up From Slavery" is the autobiography of Booker T. Washington. "Escape from Slavery" is the autobiography of Frederick Douglass. :)

My bad. One of these days I'll learn to click "Preview" before "Submit." Up From Slavery is by Booker T. Washington, who is not considered one of the good guys among blacks. <Ben Stein voice> Anyone? Anyone? </Ben Stein voice> Escape from Slavery: The Boyhood of Frederick Douglass in His Own Words is by Frederick Douglass and is one of my recommended reads. I respect anyone who can piss everyone off at one time or another.

Let me clarify my stance on history textbooks. I still hate them. They take events and boil them down to a couple of sentences or paragraphs, skimming over the surface of facts without in depth study of the material or teaching anything but the most basic and mind numbing information that is meaningless unless it is linked with past and present events. However -- and this goes to the post that asks how I can despise textbooks but recommend taking a class -- they have their uses as starting points if the teacher is savvy enough to combine them with outside material, preferably primary sources.

Uhura :o)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.