No. of Recommendations: 0
Also there is this (I was a wildland firefighter for part of my career)...

When these wildfires get going with a lot of wind and a lot of fuel, it does not matter how many firefighters you throw at them. Until the weather gives you a break, there is often little you can do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can vouch for that. I lived in Los Angeles for 45 years, and my brother and several friends of mine were firefighters. When you get really dry conditions, and a small fire, and the Santa Anna winds pushing the fire there is little that can be done to stop it, until the weather gives you a break.

The fires currently burning in Ventura and Los Angeles Counties usually take the same general path about once a decade, and it burns all of the way to the ocean every time.

Until you have witnessed a fire like that up close, you have no idea how HUGE those walls of fire are.

I have a complaint that many of these fires start on government owned lands, then spread to other areas, and then the fire goes on to burn down whole communities. I think if the fire STARTS on government owned lands, then the GOVERNMENT should be responsible for replacing everything the fire burns down.:)

Bean
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.