No. of Recommendations: 1
alstro, forgive my omission in my earlier post. Wishing your brother the best and a speedy recovery.

Wessex
Print the post Back To Top
There's also Meniere's Disease. I only know about this because a friend of mine has it. Her first symptom was a severe vertigo attack.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menieres-dise...

Wishing your brother a speedy diagnosis and good health.

regards,
Kris
alstro: He had a sudden attack of vertigo and was concerned about a brain bleed and went in. They've already done a couple of scans and found no answer yet--no bleed or anything else untoward noted in his brain, thank goodness. We were starting to talk about middle/inner eear issues when he had to hang up suddenly. He said if he's only in for observation, he thinks he'll check out and go home.

If he were my brother (Or me for that matter) he would have said, "They did a brain scan and found nothing..."

CNC
I had one massive vertigo attack (woke up with it and had to hold on to walls to walk in my then apartment) about 30 years ago. It went away that same day. After extensive testing at the Cleveland Clinic, I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease.

Somehow, I have had no symptoms since. Even now, at age 72, I can hear conversations in offices, on phones, or "in the wild" from far further away than even my much younger colleagues. It is not clear whether the diagnosis 30 years ago was incorrect (which given the testing, I doubt) or if I am just really lucky in not having the usual, nasty progression of Meniere's Disease.

But I have recently noticed a decline in my ability to distinguish sounds if there is background noise and an even greater increase in intolerance to noise and music I don't like. The intolerance to noise was evident even 30 years ago when I occasionally had to leave a restaurant or club solely because of the loud music even when it was music I liked, but the intolerance to noise is now far worse.

Thumping bass, "plinky" sounds, and extremely repetitive music are the worst. Three repetitions and I'm ready to scream (but don't). Unfortunately, this means I cannot listen to a lot of music where high notes on the piano are prominent. I also constantly now find myself turning off NPR because of the to-me-foul, ear-paining music played between segments. This response is entirely different to just not liking a piece of music or song or genre; it is easy to change the channel or turn off the source for that type of dislike, which incurs no mental or physical ear pain.

Prior familiarity with the music seems to mitigate the "repetitive" issue -- Green Onions is still one of my all-time favorites. :)

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I am likely trying to distract myself from the sad and worsening state of our country. I almost wish I could say "God help us" with any belief or sincerity.

Wessex

P.S. Another plug to please listen, if you have not already done so, to the following segments of the Late Late Show:

https://toofab.com/2020/06/02/james-cordens-incredibly-power...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbo1RYyhP_Q
alstro, forgive my omission in my earlier post. Wishing your brother the best and a speedy recovery.

Wessex