No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm starting to research alternative energy ETFs, especially dealing in solar, wind and water - my feeling is that the individual companies can be pretty volatile, but the sector as a whole has tremendous upside.
I have come up with 5 that most interest me:
TAN, GEX, PBD, PBW, PUW
I'd appreciate any insight, comments, oversights on this list, etc
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the list. I am familiar with PBW, which is relatively well diversified, and is a recommendation of TMF Rule Breakers portfolio.

These are pretty volatile etf's--I would wait for a better entry price, but that's just me.

I would compare the etf's--how diversified are they? Are they limited to domestic stocks, or do they include foreign companies (some of the best alt-energy plays, like Vestas, are foreign companies)? Do they concentrate more on one type of energy than another (favoring solar over wind, for example), or are they pretty even-handed.

In general, you can probably do better by picking individual companies--assuming you choose wisely. A $3,700 investment I made in Vestas (VWSYF) a couple years back (around the same time TMF RB recommended PBW) is now worth about $23,000. During that same time period, PBW has gone up approximately 10%.

I can understand the appeal of the ETF's--but I think you can do better with individual stocks.
Print the post Back To Top