Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
AltoonaFool,

What percentage of revenue is from DB products and services for each company? Where would you find this information? ( If you let me know I will try to find it and post it.)

I would assume this data is in the annual reports for each company. I have seen several companies break out there revenue data by division, though I am not sure if the level of detail will be enough to get a figure by product line. For example, I looked up the MSFT annual report (as well as one of the quarterly reports) and couldn't find the data at a low enough level. Microsoft places the SQL Server in their Business Systems group along with Windows NT, Exchange Server, and the other Backoffice server based products.
Therefore, it is next to impossible to determine how much of their revenue is actually derived from their database product sales.

Since IBM is also a top seller of DB products,shouldn't it be included?

My guess is IBM only gains a very small percentage of their business from their database products, similar to Microsoft. From my own personal experience in the computer industry, the RDBMS systems that I have seen most often are MS SQL Server, Oracle (usually version 7.x), and Informix. Therefore, those were the companies I used. If we used four companies in the spreadsheet, then IBM would seem to be a good fit for the additional competitor.

Fool on!

the LanceMan

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.