Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Based on an article I read some months ago, and TMFs positive assessment of the online broker offer being made by Am Express, I phoned them and asked for info to be sent. After a couple of months I had not receive the requested information (bad customer service there I'd say) but, being in the middle of an overseas move, the issue was shunted to the back burner and I lost track of it for some time.

I read another article recently and recommended a family member look into opening an account with Am Express as I planned to do. What could be better than free trades? Recently I finally got around to using another route to research the possiblility of moving the family's joint account and two separate IRA accounts to Am Express, only to find they had changed the rules.

One of our current brokerages charges $5 for market orders and $10 for limit orders. A buy and a sell with them, under any circumstances, still matches what Am Express is now offering. Too, I am suspicious of a company that changes their stripes so rapidly. Am Express never had my business, and based on what I've seen will not get it. Glad I didn't rush to action on this deal.

Too bad; even though our accounts don't see a lot of action, I was looking forward to free trades, or should I say free investing?
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.