No. of Recommendations: 0
Am I assuming that when doing a rollover from a company 401k to a self directed ira (I just retired)I might have to pay taxes on the increased value above my and my employer's contributions?
Now ya got me frightened !

No need to fear. You will receive a 1099R which will show the total amount "distributed". If there were after-tax contributions, you will receive a check for that amount. The remainder will be sent to your self-directed IRA. Since you've already paid tax on the after-tax money (if any), and the rest goes into the IRA, none of it will be taxable currently.

You put the total amount on the 1040 line for "total pensions and annuities", zero on the "taxable amount" line, and write "rollover" in the space between the lines (I think to the right of 15a and 16a -- don't have the form in front of me.

Cheers (and calm!)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.