Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
HI all, glad I stumbled onto this board.

I am looking to FIRE and think I have a good start. I would appreciate any thoughts and opinions tho as I have some questions about moving forward.

I am on track with what I call my "old man" retirement fund. This consists of a couple 401k and a very small pension all of which I am 15-20 years away from being able to access. With the current amount getting modest growth until then ( I estimate at 8%), I will have enought to cover expenses at a withdrawl rate of 4%. My current plan is to continue to add at my current rate to this (max out 401k) while I am working full time with ability to continue to add when I FIRE and go to part time for added cushion, employer match, and tax benefit. I am open to thoughts/suggestions on this part of my plan.

My only debt right now is home mortgage, which I plan to have paid off in 5 years. With my wife's salary covering monthly expenses, I pretty much put everything I make toward principal. With two small children, I realize there will be things that come up, but hopefully we are planning well enough that nothing will be too much of a setback.

I also have about 2 years expenses in what I call my "early retirement"
account. I am looking at this as what I will need to cover expenses from my FIRE date until I can start tapping into earnings on the long term accounts. If all goes well with mortgage payoff, I figure I will need about 10 years of expenses covered.

We have some options here - I could easily work part time to lower amount needed to bridge the gap. Or work full time a little longer to build up the amount of early retirement account. Also, my wife would have option of working part-time. Until we get closer with the mortgage payoff the plan is to remain flexible.
Until now, our focus has been getting 401k max'd, paying off debt, and cutting expenses. Thoughts are less expenses equals less needed to FIRE.

And that is where I would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, suggestions. Are we better off putting everything toward paying off house, then work on building up the short term retirement funds? Or some ratio of both. With the current balance and rate I am adding, we will have about 3 years of expenses when we get the house paid. Obviously this means adding more and throwing a little less at house, or delaying FIRE day a little bit. Or working a little more PT than originally planned. Ideally, I would like to have gains cover expenses, but would be ok with drawing a little down each year since the 401k balances will be more than enough for later in life expenses.

I also forgot to metion we have a month of expenses in cash in safe at house and another 5 months in savings acct.

I apologize for lenght of this post, but wanted to give all the info so anyone willing to chime in can make informed suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!

Kevin
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.