Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-discontinues-2015-ma...
Apple has discontinued the 2015 MacBook Pro, meaning buyers will now have to wrestle over new dongles as the company drops traditional USB ports from its popular laptop.

PF
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
This is a special kind of awesome:

Meanwhile, the company's 12-inch MacBook only features a single USB-C port - meaning users cannot charge the laptop and connect it to another device with a wire at the same time.

I can only suppose they hope to increase revenue by selling little dongle ports at the Apple Store. Or people Apple thinks will use these laptops don't connect to other devices all day.

Regards,

- HCF
No. of Recommendations: 13
I love mine. It is very very thin (possible because only because has only the one port and one headphone jack micro-hole), and very light, and so I am almost never without it.

I carry my little dongle and use it rarely, but I do use it.

No problem.

And I've seen this type of whine all the way back to the days when Macs did not have what almost everyone agreed were "indispensable" floppy disk drives.

david fb
No. of Recommendations: 2
And I've seen this type of whine all the way back to the days when Macs did not have what almost everyone agreed were "indispensable" floppy disk drives.

Some of the "indispensable" tech Apple has dumped:

Floppy drives
CD/DVD drives
Parallel Ports
DVI Ports
Firewire Ports
Headphone Jack
Ethernet ports
Keyboard on the phone

And now:
USB Ports

Kathleen

Floppy drives
CD/DVD drives
Parallel Ports
DVI Ports
Firewire Ports
Headphone Jack
Ethernet ports
Keyboard on the phone

And now:
USB Ports

Why I hang onto my Mac Pro and was willing to go as far as a 2012 model to keep SATA Hard drives X4! Not sure if this gets bumped. I had SCSI figured out, Firewire, too, am willing to add cards if possible... I did toss the Zip drives, but do have USB 3.5 floppy drives... Hate limits!
To clarify, it's just USB type A ports that are gone, not USB.

As you note, we've been through this many times before, and anyone who complains about it now is either a newbie or is someone who hasn't been paying attention. The uk.finance.yahoo.com is clickbait.

I'm not entirely callous about it, though. I complained about the loss of ADB, SCSI, FireWire... For that matter, I wish we still had Magsafe in some form. But I got used to the changes.

However, having given up those ports on my MBP, I now have a dock at my office onto which I mount a USB-3 drive for Time Machine, HDMI output to a 2nd monitor, USB keyboard (because I'm not really fond of the butterfly keys, and I like numeric keypads), Ethernet, and power (which feeds through to the MBP). (I have a similar set-up at home, albeit with a Thunderbolt dock instead of a USB-C dock. Home and office are the only two places where I'd need the external connections, and the docks and other hardware are left at either location. When traveling, I minimize the extras, so the MBP is all I bring.)

So, when I go to the office and open up my MBP, I connect one cable.

That's an improvement.

-awlabrador
I can only suppose they hope to increase revenue by selling little dongle ports at the Apple Store. Or people Apple thinks will use these laptops don't connect to other devices all day.

It seems to me things are a bit worse than that. First you need some sort of docking station or USB-C hub. And then you need dongles.

Floppy drives
CD/DVD drives
Parallel Ports
DVI Ports
Firewire Ports
Headphone Jack
Ethernet ports
Keyboard on the phone

And now:
USB Ports

Oh, I forgot dial-up modems and faxes.

Kathleen
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm not entirely callous about it, though. I complained about the loss of ADB, SCSI, FireWire... For that matter, I wish we still had Magsafe in some form. But I got used to the changes.

Okay, you found one that I really wish apple would keep - the Magsafe. However, I will happily trade it if it means we have 40gb data transfer, but overall, I'd love to have both.

When traveling, I minimize the extras, so the MBP is all I bring.)

I, too, like to travel light. I recently took an on-site week long class. As the class was all getting ready to depart, one of my male classmates looked at my suitcase and said, "How did you travel for a week with just that and your laptop bag?" His suitcase was quite literally almost three times the size of mine! I did not tell him I actually packed a bit heavier than usual with 2 sets of makeup and toiletry kits.

Anyway, I have an iMac at home, and MBA for travel. It used to be a super thin and light rose gold MacBook, but my daughter stole that, so I'm back too the MBA. That will likely get upgraded to an MBP before too long. I just sync my Macs, and use iCloud for things that I want to be able to access at my Macs, my PC, and my iDevices.

On the VERY rare occasion I need something on one that is not available on the other, I use TeamViewer to access. I was pretty impressed that I was able to access my stuff on my iMac from the iPad using TV. Very cool.

Kathleen

P.S. I am a firm believer in traveling light. When Homer and I went on our honeymoon, we had four bags, three of which were his.
Don't forget SCSI Ports!
No. of Recommendations: 11
There's still no reason (other than selling dongles) for the bloody thing not to have two usb ports.
I completely agree. My $500 chromebook has 2 USB C ports.

PF
I agree with AdvocatusDiaboli. I am all for minimalism, but sometimes they go to far. Its pretty absurd to only have one USB port. They had to be able to carve out the space and add, what, 5$ to the cost? Doesn't make sense....

Rob
Wires as so 20th century. I'm sure Apple's goal is to have no ports at all. What a relief that will be. It's been decades coming.

-IGU-
Wires as so 20th century. I'm sure Apple's goal is to have no ports at all. What a relief that will be. It's been decades coming.

It'll be great for Apple which can then sell enormous amounts of expensive wireless dongles for a decade or so while the rest of the hardware environment catches up.
I have a work issued MacBook Pro and I HATE the requirement of dongles for everything. It is a royal PITA. Conference room doesn't have the right dongle? I can't project. Person needs my dongle? May or may not work for them. Come back to my desk, THREE different dongles plugged in plus the power USB-C connection (because no more magnetic connection) using up all 4 ports. Now if I want t connect something else I ironically have to connect to the dongle with the hub.

I'm not a fan and I envy my coworkers with older MacBooks who still have USB ports.
Conference room doesn't have the right dongle? I can't project.

At a business? The projector should have adaptors with it to connect to any computer employees might use with the projector. So should every other public device. Wasting five minutes costs the company enough to buy 50 adaptors.

Sheesh.

-IGU-
I work in academia, and everyone in my group carries his or her own set of dongles. When we have visitors giving seminar talks, I’m sometimes the guy who arranges conference rooms, sends out announcements, etc. I always check beforehand what they need to connect to our projectors in order to present something, and if necessary, we can even lend a laptop just for the presentations if neither they nor we can locate the right dongles to use with their own machines.

Hassle or not, never let dongles or the lack of the right one get in the way. Being experienced at hosting visitors, I haven’t hit that kind of roadblock in years.

-awlabrador
I have a work issued MacBook Pro and I HATE the requirement of dongles for everything. It is a royal PITA. Conference room doesn't have the right dongle? I can't project. Person needs my dongle? May or may not work for them. Come back to my desk, THREE different dongles plugged in plus the power USB-C connection (because no more magnetic connection) using up all 4 ports. Now if I want t connect something else I ironically have to connect to the dongle with the hub.

So I'm guessing y'all missed that whole "wireless" thing, eh?

Kathleen
Are there wireless video projectors now? I haven't done a lesson or presentation since retirement so the question is serious.

PF
Are there wireless video projectors now? I haven't done a lesson or presentation since retirement so the question is serious.

You can use an Apple TV hooked to a screen that has an HDMI port and wireless share to the screen using Airplay. I've actually set up several systems that have multiple screens with similar setups. Fast, easy, low cost.

Kathleen

***You can use an Apple TV hooked to a screen that has an HDMI port and wireless share to the screen using Airplay. I've actually set up several systems that have multiple screens with similar setups. Fast, easy, low cost.***

I forgot to add, you can also use this setup with a Mac, iPad, iPhone, or even an iPod touch.

Kathleen
As I understand, you can connect wirelessly but only to another Apple device from an OSX device. We have a couple of conference rooms with Apple TVs that you can connect to. One other downside, the screen resolution plummets below 1080P and it isn't due to the TV it's connected to.

Other rooms is connected via HDMI and then if you don't have a dongle, you're SOL.

We are a mixed PC/Mac operation - you get to decide what you get.

I have a Mac run it dual boot (Win10/OSX)
As I understand, you can connect wirelessly but only to another Apple device from an OSX device. We have a couple of conference rooms with Apple TVs that you can connect to. One other downside, the screen resolution plummets below 1080P and it isn't due to the TV it's connected to.

Although it does not have to include an OSX device specifically, but it does need to be an Apple device. This isn't usually a big deal as the iPhone is basically ubiquitous in business, but there are folks that do not have anything Apple.

As far as wireless video without an Apple product involved, of course it can be done, but it is quite a bit more difficult.

Kathleen

It'll be great for Apple which can then sell enormous amounts of expensive wireless dongles for a decade or so while the rest of the hardware environment catches up.

No one made them pay for switching to an unreliable power cable that cost $30 on the iPhone many years ago, so I think they know what they are doing.

Lamborghini's are indeed beautiful and nearly miraculous technical masterpieces. Not too useful for anything associated with work, though, or even for a trip to Costco or a drive through.