Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 31
I can’t be the only person who wonders if a person providing a list of stocks by their symbols instead of their names thinks that I, somehow, should be familiar with all those symbols. The only way that would be possible is if I spent a considerable amount of time following the quotes of companies I don’t own – which I don’t. Maybe it is because I think of a company by its name, not its symbol. Or maybe it is because I don’t check quotes very often. Or, since this does not seem to be an issue with other people, maybe it is because I am just weird.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
I can’t be the only person who wonders if a person providing a list of stocks by their symbols instead of their names thinks that I, somehow, should be familiar with all those symbols. The only way that would be possible is if I spent a considerable amount of time following the quotes of companies I don’t own – which I don’t. Maybe it is because I think of a company by its name, not its symbol. Or maybe it is because I don’t check quotes very often. Or, since this does not seem to be an issue with other people, maybe it is because I am just weird.

"The person" is just trying to convey some information in shorthand.
Copying and pasting a symbol in Yahoo Finance will give you the name.
If it discourages you from looking the symbol up, then "the person" should stop being lazy and start giving names instead of / along with symbols. "The person" will think about that for his next annual post.
No. of Recommendations: 25
I can’t be the only person who wonders if a person providing a list of stocks by their symbols instead of their names thinks that I, somehow, should be familiar with all those symbols.

I would normally provide a list of stocks by their symbols and not by their names, not because I would think one would be familiar with all stock's symbols, but because it is easier to look them up if you already know their tickers.

I cannot imagine anyone would buy the stocks whose tickers (or names) I might provide without looking them up and doing other due diligence first. And to do that, it is easier if you know their tickers.

Actually, I would be really surprised if many even bothered to consider any companies I might suggest, no matter how identified them.
No. of Recommendations: 0
"The person" :)
No. of Recommendations: 14
If somebody is posting something interesting and positive, I will go to the trouble to decode the names based on the symbols. Too much of this board seems to be dedicated to pointless bickering, so original thoughts and content are a treat.

SJ
No. of Recommendations: 1
I prefer symbols. With my browser extension, I can simply highlight the ticker symbol and bring up and variety of websites with information on that ticker symbol. There aren't many web sites that work off of company names.

But both would be best. :)
No. of Recommendations: 7

I am surprised that you wrote such a long post rather than looking up the companies. This thread is pointless.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Must be pretty calm out there for this to stir up all these responses to one of my favorite , but less frequent ,contributors to this board.

These interests/personal quotes should provide some chuckles from this 20 Yr Berkshire poster,

https://boards.fool.com/profile/EliasFardo/info.aspx

ciao
No. of Recommendations: 10
There are a lot of intelligent investors around here. I love the idea of sharing ideas on stocks we're researching/owning.

But I would rather have three leads with a couple-sentence summary of why you chose them that a list of a dozen symbols. Of course, the poster can do whatever they like. But I'm guessing everyone would find the whole thing more productive if one went just a bit beyond a list of tickers. (On the other hand, I took a fair amount of time to do precisely this with my favorites last month, and it went nowhere, so what do I know?)
No. of Recommendations: 0
There are a lot of intelligent investors around here. I love the idea of sharing ideas on stocks we're researching/owning.

But I would rather have three leads with a couple-sentence summary of why you chose them that a list of a dozen symbols. Of course, the poster can do whatever they like. But I'm guessing everyone would find the whole thing more productive if one went just a bit beyond a list of tickers. (On the other hand, I took a fair amount of time to do precisely this with my favorites last month, and it went nowhere, so what do I know?)

There was this post in another group, that I supposed (perhaps mistakenly) inspired this thread here:

https://boards.fool.com/if-you-could-have-only-5-holding--34...

It seems to me that that poster did not really give any criteria as to what basis he wanted to apply to these choices, so I did not give any reasons for the stocks I gave in response. One might suppose that he wanted a selection that a responder thought would do well (or better than average, etc) than a possible different selection. Do you suppose he would really think that responders would set up a list of criterea, apply these to the stocks in 2009, and then with 10 years of crystal ball results, select five stocks that did best in those years, assume that 10 years past experience would be an accurate predictor of the future, and post them? It might be that someone might have this information already prepared, but it appears that no one did.
No. of Recommendations: 7
If the list is interesting enough to complain about but not interesting enough to look into then isn't that what the "next" button is for?