Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Am I the only one who recognizes that the data being quoted has the ability to support either of those contentions? A majority is against the current situation of abortion on demand. Another majority, different but sharing a large portion of people with the other majority, is against outright prohibition.

I believe that I made that observation earlier. However, it's not quite true. There are actually 3 distinct positions.

1. Permitted on demand. (the current status)
2. Permitted with restrictions on availability.
3. Not permitted ever.

Oddly, positions 1 and 3 are about equally divided. However, position 2 implys that position 1 (the current status) is not acceptable. It also implys that position 3 is not acceptable. Pick your side if you must, or become a rational person and reconsider a less extreme position (number 2).

The clear majority believes that the procedure should be available and restricted. A simple coalition of the positions would result in number 2. This is the rational position from all practical standpoints. As CCSand implied, most "Right to Life" people should be practical enough to accept limited abortion rights to save 90+% of the babies. I can't see the "Right to Choice" people agreeing to restrictions unfortunately, but I could be wrong.

If rational dialogue continues to gain traction in this country, it appears to me that position number 2 will ultimately win the debate. For some it will be a defeat on both sides, and for the rest of us it will be a victory for millions of kids in the future.

JD
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.