Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 57
Am I the only one who sees the irony in looking at Gen Petraeus for Sec State?

-spookysquid
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 51
There's a big difference here. Petraeus was actually guilty. Hillary was not. Unless you count the court held by those who merely wished she was. After all those years of accusations, and all that attention. No proof, no conviction, no guilt.

In January 2015, officials reported the FBI and Justice Department prosecutors had recommended bringing felony charges against Petraeus for allegedly providing classified information to his biographer, Paula Broadwell (with whom he was having an affair), while serving as the director of the CIA.[20] Eventually, Petraeus pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor charge of mishandling classified information.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Petraeus
No. of Recommendations: 5
No. But I look forward to the loads of democrats who will suddenly find respect for handling classified information.

(Petraeus shouldn't be a cabinet official for that reason)
No. of Recommendations: 0
Whaddaya know...one popped up in the thread already.
No. of Recommendations: 7
There's a big difference here. Petraeus was actually guilty. Hillary was not. Unless you count the court held by those who merely wished she was. After all those years of accusations, and all that attention. No proof, no conviction, no guilt.

To the mind of a Trump supporter, and even some who aren't, you couldn't be more wrong. To them Hillary is "guilty" even if a court hasn't declared it so. Heck, even I think she's "guilty" and I detest Trump.

In that context, the idea of Gen Petraeus working for Trump, as Sec State no less!...priceless. Just...priceless. I hope he does pick Gen Petraeus just so I can count all the heads that should, but don't, explode. Let's call it an informal IQ test.

Hence my question. How has no one put those two ideas together yet?

-spookysquid
No. of Recommendations: 1
No. But I look forward to the loads of democrats who will suddenly find respect for handling classified information.

(Petraeus shouldn't be a cabinet official for that reason)

Dope, I think they were already there. Not saying you fell for this too, but what I saw from a lot of my coworkers was the inability to process a complex logic train. It went something like "Hillary is probably guilty of that specific crime, but Trump is also probably guilty of other crimes. The decision then is, which is worser?" and in unison they answered "Trump is worser. Therefore, I vote Hillary as less worser of the two".

That's not a vote of confidence for Hillary. Its a vote against Trump. As I've said repeatedly, I firmly believe Hillary was guilty of deliberately mishandling classified AND I believe Trump would be worse for the nation than Hillary. They are related but distinct ideas.

Agreed on Petraeus. He's damaged goods. Too bad, really. He could have been great.

-spookysquid
To the mind of a Trump supporter, and even some who aren't, you couldn't be more wrong. To them Hillary is "guilty" even if a court hasn't declared it so. Heck, even I think she's "guilty" and I detest Trump.

In that context, the idea of Gen Petraeus working for Trump, as Sec State no less!...priceless. Just...priceless. I hope he does pick Gen Petraeus just so I can count all the heads that should, but don't, explode. Let's call it an informal IQ test.

Hence my question. How has no one put those two ideas together yet?

-spookysquid

I have.

Cricccccccccccccccckets.

They're more worried about Sponge Bob Square Pants and just for fun if they could burn Hillary at the stake without a trial, all the better.
Whaddaya know...one popped up in the thread already.

You totally planned that!

-spookysquid
No. of Recommendations: 2
It's not so much irony as hypocrisy.
With Trump, that should not be an unexpected situation.

I see that Dope and I (and likely you) are in basic agreement on this one.
http://boards.fool.com/i39m-hardly-a-fan-of-bg-that-said-i-w...

The Kindle edition of the Petraeus bio is $2.99 -- When that happens you know it's over.

I remember Jon Stewart laughing about the title of the book, but it's been renamed David Petraeus: A Biography -- I did a half-hearted search but can't find the original title.
No. of Recommendations: 48
To the mind of a Trump supporter, and even some who aren't, you couldn't be more wrong. To them Hillary is "guilty" even if a court hasn't declared it so. Heck, even I think she's "guilty" and I detest Trump

Well, it doesn't matter if you think she's guilty. Unless convicted, she's not. And there is no evidence to prove she's guilty. That Trump & Co. will not go after her speaks volumes to this. All that wishful thinking got nowhere.

I do however agree on the irony. The right had such a problem with what they saw as her improper handling of classified materials. Yet no problem considering Petraeus, even though he was outright guilty of the same offense.

Not just irony here. Hypocrisy in the highest degree. But as we know; this matters not to this group.
No. of Recommendations: 67

I'm convinced now that the entire cabinet is designed as a massive middle finger in the face of America: every single position being filled by the worst, the most entirely inappropriate person he can possible dig up.

It's breathtakingly evil. It has to be by design, it's so uniformly evil.

It's Trump's open expression of contempt for America. If he could make Putin head of the CIA, he'd do it in a heartbeat.

SLL
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm convinced now that the entire cabinet is designed as a massive middle finger in the face of America: every single position being filled by the worst, the most entirely inappropriate person he can possible dig up.

Petraeus for Sec State would be a triple win:
- middle finger to Mitt "on his knees" Romney
- middle finger to Hillary Clinton, rubbing in the double standard
- keep the media distracted, would not want them to report on his business dealings while prez. Extra points since the outrage from the left would keep this a half a year story or so

M
No. of Recommendations: 13
It is ironic. Broke the law in a minor way. Admitted it. Paid his debt.

The last Secretary of State conspired to break the law, did so in a massive way, lied about it and has not been held accountable.

Very Ironic I agree.
you mean, just because he "leaked classified documents?" LOL LOL

The last Secretary of State conspired to break the law, did so in a massive way, lied about it and has not been held accountable.

I expect that anyone who knows about Petraeus at all would yield a sample size with a majority that sees things a lot as you do.

I fully expect that is why he is being considered at all. Sandy is correct about the FU but it is at a specific subset of folks in America and I expect even a large portion of those who felt compelled to vote against Trump feel it is well deserved.
No. of Recommendations: 4

Maybe. Also possible that it just seems offensive to flaming lefties.

VQ
Maybe. Also possible that it just seems offensive to flaming lefties.

OH I am pretty sure it was intended to be offensive to flaming lefties. there is no way he wants a hearing on him, but watching the Hillary contingent dose out on hypocrisy has got to be amusing for the President elect and his staff.
Not just irony here. Hypocrisy in the highest degree. But as we know; this matters not to this group.

Has it crossed your mind that interviewing and getting opinions from so varied a group is an education in and of itself? Maybe some other post will be better suited for Patraeus or his ideas remembered and used down the line.

The guy would be an invaluable source of information. It would be a shame to have it go totally untapped.

The hypocrisy goes both ways don't it?

W
No. of Recommendations: 12
Did Petraeus (like wipe with a cloth?) 33,000 emails that were under congressional subpoena?

Did he and his aides repeatedly say I Don't Remember, and or plead the 5th?

Irony is over Trump's head; so, he doesn't see it, for sure.

Schvitz

p.s. Didn't Derek once comment that he thought Petraeus was a Democrat?
Well, it doesn't matter if you think she's guilty. Unless convicted, she's not. And there is no evidence to prove she's guilty. That Trump & Co. will not go after her speaks volumes to this. All that wishful thinking got nowhere.

You libs would love it if Trump got so wound up with nailing Hillary, he forgot to be president. The media would love it, too.

Unfortunately for libtards, Trump not going after Clinton demonstrates he has the ability to keep his eye on the ball, and to properly prioritize.

When Hillary was a presidential priority, she was dealt with. Let someone else finish her off. Jill Stein comes to mind.
swamp
Sandy is correct about the FU but it is at a specific subset of folks in America

Yes, that's right. Although I can understand the confusion since Sandy thinks her tribe is America.

swamp
If he could make Putin head of the CIA, he'd do it in a heartbeat.

SSSSSSHUSH! Don't give him any ideas.

Do you think that Vladimir would fly over to Trump Tower to be interviewed?

If he does, I'm sure that Trump could fix him up with a hottie!

Jack
No. of Recommendations: 11

It's Trump's open expression of contempt for America. If he could make Putin head of the CIA, he'd do it in a heartbeat.

And with this hysterical pile of emotionally overwrought nonsense - and the 21 people who rec'd it - Spooky's point is proven.
Recommendations: 0

Not that I spend a lot of time on it, but I do wonder if folks as stupid as that think Nixon was not guilty of anything.
No. of Recommendations: 36
"Am I the only one who sees the irony in looking at Gen Petraeus for Sec State?"

You wouldn't see irony if you recognized that the witch hunt with Hillary Clinton wasn't really about protecting state secrets and was really about smearing a political opponent who would be a big favorite for the presidency.
No. of Recommendations: 36
Did Petraeus (like wipe with a cloth?) 33,000 emails that were under congressional subpoena?

Question:

Do you feel any anger at all at Bush's 22 MILLION wiped e-mails dealing with the lead-up to the Iraqi war, or is your rage only directed at Democrats/women/Hillary?

Most of those e-mails were recovered, by the way. And found harmless.

Question:

Do you feel any anger at all at Bush's 22 MILLION wiped e-mails dealing with the lead-up to the Iraqi war, or is your rage only directed at Democrats/women/Hillary?

Most of those e-mails were recovered, by the way. And found harmless.
====================================================================

False equivalence.

Did the FBI consider Bush's emails important enough for a full scale investigation?

Contempt of Congress and perjury are also serious crimes.

Clinton's emails were never found. Because they would not have been found harmless.
Well, it doesn't matter if you think she's guilty. Unless convicted, she's not.

Or pardoned. Because if she is not pardoned, she will be convicted and you will learn that compared to Hillary, Petraeus did absolutely nothing wrong, NOTHING!

Your call.

-=Ajax=-
Question: Do you feel any anger at all at Bush's 22 MILLION wiped e-mails dealing with the lead-up to the Iraqi war, or is your rage only directed at Democrats/women/Hillary?

Why blame Bush? That was another neoCon imbecility we are cleaning up right now with Trump. And remember, the Republican party did not support Trump during the election.

And to refresh your memory, the Iraq war was based on lies and forgeries, it was the product of the criminal establishment and one of many neoCon imbecilities. How did that work out?

No different than the Obama/Hillary imbecilities who are arming and funding ISIS and al Qaeda and calling the result Arab Spring and who engineered a coup against the Democratically elected president of the Ukraine and had him replaced by Nazis.

You know, blaming Bush and then Obama for these imbecilities is not working anymore and that is why we elected Trump!

-=Ajax=-

-spookysquid

Nope.

But I would have had far more faith in his knowledge of the various issues involved for the job than she did, and certainly more than Kerry's.

Unfortunately, they both have displayed a serious problem when it came to dealing with the integrity of their jobs.
No. of Recommendations: 9
Or pardoned. Because if she is not pardoned, she will be convicted and you will learn that compared to Hillary, Petraeus did absolutely nothing wrong, NOTHING!

Your call.

-=Ajax=-

This is such bull. There is nothing, NOTHING, to convict her on. Don't you get it? This whole witch hunt has been about slandering Clinton for political gain. And it worked. Nobody in this village of pitchfork carrying mobsters cares, cared, gives a rat's * about integrity, in regards to her behavior. It's all been about lambasting her, AND the democratic party, for political wins. Let me ask you this; why, if all these accusations are true, why in the world was she never charged and convicted? I'll tell you why. There was nothing there to do anything with. How many years, and how many investigations did it take to produce this outcome? There is nothing there.

The propaganda campaign did its work, and your side won. If after all we've been through, there was still something to work with, in regards to "locking her up", you don't think Trump would set the pack dogs on her? Hint: he would in a New York minute.

What a country we have. That these sorts of political forces can win out, with the level of hypocrisy that we have seen, does not bode well for ANY of us. Zeus help us all, because we're going to need it.

SLL

Not even close.

He could keep the current Attorney General on the job.

He could return Hillary as Secretary of State.

He could make Al Sharpton head of HUD.

He could do lots of stupid things that you'd be praising him for.

But everything you don;t tolerate is EVIL.

There are some that I would prefer he didn't pick, or even talk about. But the same was true of those in Hillary's insider cabinet discussions. Cheryl Mills comes right up with that in mind. Aside from who's best for the job, Hillary made a promise that at least half of her cabinet would be women. The only thing that bothers me about that should be obvious. I doubt you get that.

Hillary thought it important that identity be a big part of her picks. Imagine being in a room full of people with extremely good lists to choose from. Further imagine Hillary asking "Which one's are black, transgender, eskimos?"

It was also quite possible that a President Clinton cabinet and staff would be loaded up with people that have Plead the Fifth. Yet another record that could have been set.

"Minor way"?
You wouldn't see irony if you recognized that the witch hunt with Hillary Clinton wasn't really about protecting state secrets and was really about smearing a political opponent who would be a big favorite for the presidency.

It was about both for sure. Hillary had already proven herself incompetent as SOS, then she proved to the country that she was as untrustworthy as most believed her to be. Nobody gets a warm, fuzzy feeling when the staff of the SOS pleads the fifth, and the current DOJ and State Department conspire to stall and hide.

Of course many wanted to smear Hillary, that's 100% correct. It was Hillary's gift to them all that she was responsible for the ammunition.

Interestingly, this was not the first Presidential election that had one side smearing an opponent, or at least making up stuff to do so.

Your call.

-=Ajax=-

Did you mean relatively speaking, or do you mean Petraeus did nothing wrong?
If after all we've been through, there was still something to work with, in regards to "locking her up", you don't think Trump would set the pack dogs on her? Hint: he would in a New York minute.

Hillary is now off of Trump's priority list. As should be. I mean, really, make America great again, or kick around a sore loser? Hmmm, let me think.

For anyone with any sense of priorities, Hillary is so yesterday.

swamp
No. of Recommendations: 10
SLL -

Your absurd and extreme points of view are exactly the reason that the dem candidate lost, the reason why the dems have lost the House, Senate etc.

You need to rethink everything about life.

sw
SLL -

Your absurd and extreme points of view are exactly the reason that the dem candidate lost, the reason why the dems have lost the House, Senate etc.

sw

...or just consider the alternatives.

W
No. of Recommendations: 4
AjaxofTelamon - Petraeus did absolutely nothing wrong, NOTHING!

Really!?

Gen. David Petraeus ... was sentenced to serve two years on probation and to pay an $100,000 fine ... for sharing classified information with his biographer and lover, Paula Broadwell.

Not mishandling classified information - SHARING classified information.

Prosecutors agreed to not send Petraeus to jail because the classified information was never released to the public or published in the biography of him that Broadwell wrote.

It would have been much uglier for him had his mistress published/released that classified information.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/23/politics/david-petraeus-senten...
p.s. Didn't Derek once comment that he thought Petraeus was a Democrat?

Actually, I think what he said was when Gen Petraeus finally decides to overthrow the republic, Derek would be the first in line to serve under his command. :)

-spookysquid
"Your absurd and extreme points of view are exactly the reason that the dem candidate lost, the reason why the dems have lost the House, Senate etc.

You need to rethink everything about life."

SW,

Do you think your absurd and extreme points of view are the reason the Libertarian candidate lost (and lost real bad, he didn't even get to double digits)?

Perhaps you need to rethink everything about life.

This got 74 recs?
"Your absurd and extreme points of view are exactly the reason that the dem candidate lost, the reason why the dems have lost the House, Senate etc.

You need to rethink everything about life."

This got 74 recs?

Shamefully, yes. Not hard to pat yourself on the back anymore, is it?

This got 74 recs?

Yup, even on PA sometimes a post that's dead spot on gets recs.

SLL is demeaning, posts violently with anger, and has the tunnel vision required for a helicopter to fly through a sewer pip without touching.

Liberals as a group live in a very closed world. But this campaign got them out of their safe zone, and the world was not happy to see or hear them. Bernie was always fighting for the little guy, against the bully. SLL and the coastal humanists are the definition of a bully.

Bernie should be praised for showing the country what progressives and leftists are all about. Right out in the open this year showed how utterly shallow and devoid of any ideology the 401K liberals are. The Hollywood crowd showed this for decades, now the rest of them have had the curtain pulled back.

You might not know this, but this has been an incredibly awful year for liberals all around. It was earned. The fact that you're so shocked that so many do not like your incredibly selfish points of view is startling.

In order to get the Democratic party back on track as a major party, it will take years of matching liberal statements to reality. So once you're through calling everyone racists, bigots and misogynists, it will be a start.
<...Bernie was always fighting for the little guy, against the bully. SLL and the coastal humanists are the definition of a bully.

I wouldn't call the folks who opposed Bernie "coastal humanists," since they are actually anti-humanist in their disregard for the needs of individual human beings.

They would more accurately be described as "coastal globalists," because they are more concerned about the needs of their Wall Street and international corporatist overlords than they are about the needs of the workers and ordinary human beings.

Global corporatists (or corporate globalists) are the very opposite of humanists.

=:-o
I wouldn't call the folks who opposed Bernie "coastal humanists," since they are actually anti-humanist in their disregard for the needs of individual human beings.

They would more accurately be described as "coastal globalists," because they are more concerned about the needs of their Wall Street and international corporatist overlords than they are about the needs of the workers and ordinary human beings.

Global corporatists (or corporate globalists) are the very opposite of humanists.

=:-o

Agreed, revision accepted.

Sometimes you hear them spout off so much, you can easily get confused into believing that they actually stand for anything other than themselves.
Sometimes you hear them spout off so much, you can easily get confused into believing that they actually stand for anything other than themselves.

You think you're confused, imagine how I feel trying to figure out how some old loser that adored the pre Gorby USSR has a problem with the idea that Putin would try to influence the election!