Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I mailed my amended return in early September 2020. It was for year 2018. When I checked the status on IRS.gov, it says status is unavailable. It says processing is up to 16 weeks. It has now been close to 6 months. I called the IRS at the end of January this year. The person said not to send in another copy of the return. It is now a month later. Does anyone know if it is taking more than 6 months to process an amended return? Or do you think it got lost in the mail and I should send it in again?

Thank you, Ken
Print the post Back To Top
1. Did you get a return receipt when you mailed. If yes, that should be proof you filed.

2. If delays continue, I'd ask my Congressman for assistance. That should at least get their attention.
No. of Recommendations: 1
It says processing is up to 16 weeks.

That was the timeline before the pandemic. Things haven't gotten better. https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2020/06/19/irs...

Do you have proof that it was received?

AJ
No. of Recommendations: 1
If it helps any, I mailed in additional forms for 2019 taxes back on August 5 for my son, and he just got the letter this week that said they have been processed, and he should expect his refund in about 4 weeks. We had called the IRS together, and they just said they are taking things as they received them, and not to send it again.

So I suspect that you are still in the queue, and given my son's experience, it could take another month or so. I think you just need to be patient.
Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately I trust the USPS too much to not get a delivery receipt. I will get one next time.