Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I had to amend to add in an additional forgotten 1099-INT (the interest the IRS themselves payed me because they wrongfully audited me last year).

It was only about $50 interest, but it did change my tax liability by $5 federal and $3 state, so I filed 1040X... I did direct deposit on my original refund, so it had come through. On the IRS web site it says:

I went ahead and cashed my refund check, but it was for more than I should have received because I've discovered I made a mistake on my return. What should I do now?

[You need to file 1040X]... Send a check or money order for the full amount payable to the United States Treasury. On your payment, be sure to include your name, address, daytime phone number, social security number, the tax year, and type of return.

Now, I take that to mean the full amount of the difference, correct? I already just mailed them a check for $5... I sure hope they aren't expecting the whole refund back, it's already spent.

It seems like I am reading this right, at least the way I did it makes a lot more sense then the other way to read that.

Thanks in advance.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.