Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I had to amend to add in an additional forgotten 1099-INT (the interest the IRS themselves payed me because they wrongfully audited me last year).

It was only about $50 interest, but it did change my tax liability by $5 federal and $3 state, so I filed 1040X... I did direct deposit on my original refund, so it had come through. On the IRS web site it says:

I went ahead and cashed my refund check, but it was for more than I should have received because I've discovered I made a mistake on my return. What should I do now?

[You need to file 1040X]... Send a check or money order for the full amount payable to the United States Treasury. On your payment, be sure to include your name, address, daytime phone number, social security number, the tax year, and type of return.

Now, I take that to mean the full amount of the difference, correct? I already just mailed them a check for $5... I sure hope they aren't expecting the whole refund back, it's already spent.

It seems like I am reading this right, at least the way I did it makes a lot more sense then the other way to read that.

Thanks in advance.
Print the post Back To Top
Yes, you only send them the full amount of the difference - $5.

You can have a restful sleep now.
Thanks, I would have rec'ed you but apparently I am out for the day.