Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband and I recharacterized our 2005 (non-deductible) traditional IRA contributions to make them Roth contributions. I completed amended 2005 returns (fed and state) with new Form 8606s for myself and my husband, showing the changed bases in our IRAs.

I set the returns aside to get my husband to sign them and, um, er, forgot about them until I started my 2006 taxes. So I just mailed off the amended returns today.

Does it make sense to hold off on filing 2006 taxes to give the tax agencies time to process the amended returns? I don't want discrepencies between my original 2005 form 8606 and my 2006 form 8606 to cause problems.


- Parkway
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.