Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I worked out my taxes with Turbo Tax. As I began the process of e-filing, I noticed some mistakes so I went back into the forms and corrected the mistakes. As a result our refund on the Federal return should be $285 less than claimed on the original form (the state tax is unaffected.). A couple days went buy, and I e-mailed the returns (Federal and State). Much to my horror, I found, inexplicably, that the forms e-mailed were the forms before the corrections. somehow the corrections didn't get saved. So I have made the corrections again and found the difference.

I should make an amended return and Turbo Tax allows for that, but, because I have not heard whether the submitted return has been accepted (I guess), Turbo Tax will not let me amend the return.

What is the best procedure now? Wait to see if the return is accepted or bounced back? I'm not sure that the errors will be found because Turbo Tax rated the return as a very low probability of being audited so it may not be bounced back. If the return is accepted, then file an amended return? I presume it would not be a good idea to just e-file the corrected return.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.