No. of Recommendations: 0
How is American Airlines? I have heard bad things about them: cancelled flights and flight delays.
The flight that would work for our schedule is listed as 96% on time but can I trust those statistics?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
vkg,

At one time or another I have sworn that I would never take United, Delta, American, British and assorted other airlines. In most cases, I've lied.

American is no worse than other options. If there is bad weather, halting of 737MAX planes, pilot strikes, then no airline is good. If the flight's on time and you walk away from the landing and your luggage is there, it's a good airline.

Jeff
(Think about doctors the same way :-)
No. of Recommendations: 1
vkg: How is American Airlines? I have heard bad things about them: cancelled flights and flight delays. The flight that would work for our schedule is listed as 96% on time but can I trust those statistics?

You don't mention your airport. May vary accordingly.

We live in Ellay and most of our flying is via American out of LAX. Big hub here. No complaints, other than their Admiral's Club charges for food and drinks. Cheap. Charge you for the membership, charge you again for the product.

CNC
Jeff,

So far I haven't had any seriously bad experience with any airline. On a return flight, Iceland Air left our luggage in Iceland overnight. Over the years, most airlines we flown have had delays of a few hours. One Alaska flight aborted a take off. It was the 4th of July weekend. If that plane wasn't repaired we weren't going home. Fortunately, it was at PDX which is a repair location for Alaska. My husband was booked on a flight the next day. If we hadn't been able to leave, Alaska would have modified his flight for his new destination.

The American Airlines flight would be from SJC to ATL for a cruise. We would fly the previous day. American Airlines delayed luggage rate is slightly greater than Alaska and Southwest. I will think about it tonight and will probably book the flight.
vkg: The American Airlines flight would be from SJC to ATL for a cruise. We would fly the previous day. American Airlines delayed luggage rate is slightly greater than Alaska and Southwest. I will think about it tonight and will probably book the flight.

No direct flights? Maybe PDX is too much in the shadow of LAX, but such a route would send me looking at other airlines.

CNC
Perhaps 75% of my flights have been on American. I rarely check a bag, so can't comment about that. I have no complaints about flying America.

I don't remember any delays or such, and the couple times I had a problem, American was great about helping me.

I've not flown since the 737 Max issues, so things might now be different?

ralph
No. of Recommendations: 3
CNC,

There are no non-stop flights from the SF Bay Area to Miami. I mistyped the route. It would be SJC to Miami. Normally, we fly Delta and they go through ATL.

I was searching for alternatives to a Delta 6:30 am flight. Looking at the flights more closely has shown they wouldn't be a good choice. The high on time was only for the first leg of the American flight. The second leg has a late percentage of 16 to 33%. Also, the layover times are tight. I try to avoid layovers that are under 45 minutes. The odds of a flight be a few minutes late is high. We don't need the stress of a tight layover. I've made a decision that it won't be American.
No. of Recommendations: 2
The American Airlines flight would be from SJC to ATL for a cruise. We would fly the previous day.

The safest thing for a cruise is to book through the cruise line. I'm not sure how often you fly but anything can happen to any flight on any airline. All it takes is a thunderstorm pretty much anywhere.

Personally, I usually book the least expensive flight for the timeframe I want(it takes quite a discount for me to fly out or arrive very early in the morning). I don't know about other airlines but the United app has a "track my bag" option. I always feel lucky when my bag goes on an earlier flight which can only happen on domestic flights AFAIK.
The safest thing for a cruise is to book through the cruise line. I'm not sure how often you fly but anything can happen to any flight on any airline. All it takes is a thunderstorm pretty much anywhere.

Anything can happen to any flight is true. I am always happy when my flight arrives close to the scheduled time and with my luggage. For East coast destinations we fly a day ahead. I have flown the same day for west coast destinations that are less than a 2 hour flight.

Not so certain about the safest option being booking through the cruise line. Any flight can be included in the travel insurance. Bundled airfare is for cheap flights and not a "good" flight.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I fly 95% American (average 7-10 trips per year on them). It's no better - and no worse - than the other airlines. I fly out of a smaller, regional airport (Dayton). The other thing is my most frequent visit is to PHL, which is a nonstop for me being as it is an American hub.

I loathe flying through ATL, so generally avoid Delta.

Am still mad at United for a 2016 trip, so avoid them. Yes, I can hold a grudge.

Kristi
I loathe flying through ATL, so generally avoid Delta.

Am still mad at United for a 2016 trip, so avoid them. Yes, I can hold a grudge.

Kristi

ATL is the busiest US airport. I haven't had any problems navigating the airport. Our luggage has never been lost there. I find SFO more challenging. Airlines and weather have annoyed me but we haven't had any serious issues. The most entertaining was the announcement on arriving in Honolulu to stay in our seats. Police came on board and removed a problem passenger.

If I could find a non-stop flight to Miami, I would book it. I haven't been able to find even a direct flight.

A goal with winter flights is try to minimize weather issues. So far, we haven't had any issues with ATL. It is also closer to the destination which hopefully means that if there is a problem there will be more flights options to Miami.
vkg, I'm on on Google Flights and looking at 3/day nonstops SFO-MIA on American. Depending on dates, as cheap as $247 round-trip.
I'm on on Google Flights and looking at 3/day nonstops SFO-MIA on American. Depending on dates, as cheap as $247 round-trip.

Ah, non-stop from SFO. It isn't as convenient as SJC, but non-stop is preferred. Daughter in law maybe able to take us to SFO. The non-stop flights have a high on-time statistics.

By February, the mess that the SFO repaving of a runway is causing will long be over.